Saturday, July 27, 2013

A week "off"

Ivan's in Wisconsin and I'm hanging out in Indiana, having a week off to enjoy with daughter Tina and SIL Sharon. I arrived at Tina's about 7:30 last night, ate a most delicious grilled ear of corn slathered in a tasty butter sauce, and was in bed by 8:30. A rockin' Friday night.

But boy, was I glad to crawl into bed (which I'm still in since it's only 6 a.m. as I write this, and I don't want to wake everyone else up). I'd only gotten four hours sleep the night before, and had been going, going, going all day long.

I started out Friday by getting together with some of my friends for a morning of crafty fun. I finished sewing the blocks together for the baby quilt! I still have to choose fabric for the borders and then add those, but the hard part is done. Whew! All that hard work was assuaged by the delectable goodies different women brought to the gathering :)

Then it was back home to pack, clean, pack some more, clean some more, load the car and finish cleaning. I should tell you that the house was a DISASTER! While trying to get Ivan ready to leave for Wisconsin on Thursday, I had opened ALL our suitcases and strewn stuff all around, looking for a small item (which turned out to be in the dresser, after all that).

But it was fine that stuff was everywhere, because I needed to go through it all anyway. There's a possibility that a family heading to Uruguay might be able to take a few boxes for us in their container, so I sorted through all our junk stuff belongings to see what we could live without until next March when we'd retrieve our things. No guarantees they'll have the room in their container; I'm supposed to hear back from them this week. I optimistically packed three boxes -- just in case.

Are you wondering what we can live without for the next 8 months? No? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. Books, fabric, bedding, and winter clothes. And should I get word that they have room, I'm going to grab 3 dozen pint-sized canning jars to add to the mix. I picked up a couple of those storage bags where you vacuum out the air, shrinking the size of the package by about half. I put all the fabric and some bedding in one, and the remainder of the bedding and clothes in the other. I'm a big fan of those bags and have used them often in the past.

Not sure what all we'll be doing this weekend, but I don't care. I just enjoy hanging with my daughter and her husband. They're fun and cute and they feed me well.

And I know Ivan's having fun, 'cause he's sent a few photos already. He's attending not one, but TWO air shows: a smaller show in Broadhead, Wisconsin, and then the big EAA fly-in in Oshgosh. It's been over 20 years since the last time he went, and he's pretty excited. Later in the week his brother will be joining him, and he's looking forward to more time with him too.

So as much as I miss him, I know it's going to be a good week for both of us.

5 comments:

Mari said...

Sounds perfect - you're catching up on some rest and getting things done too. Enjoy the week!

Skoots1moM said...

so glad you're getting time with Tina...the air show sounds awesome too! Your organization skills amaze me...hope your friends can take many of your things. Got to see my girl at a bridal shower today...such a sweet time for all these young girls. Prayers for Charles' mom and my mom...Ann's struggling with cong. heart/copd issues and my mom is having surgery next wed. on her back/pinched nerve at L2/L3(she's been miserable for about 3 months, with no relief from epidural pain treatments. anyway, enjoy your weekend!

Robin Lambright said...

One of the down side to taking a break from blogging is that I don't get to catch up with you.

I have eased back into my blog so now I can easily pop over and see what you have been up to.

Speaking of canning. I just put up 5 1/2 pint jars of pickle relish and did an experiment with cherry tomatoes. I only have about a billion so if it does not work it will be no great loss.I take for granted just being able to run to the grocery store and pick up the necessary canning supplies I want when I want them.

I would so be making room for those jars too..when you want them you just want them!

I have about a gazillion baggies of peppers, so pepper jelly will be next. In the fall i am planning on maybe some apple butter and orange marmalade...

Enjoy your time off my friend!

We are deep in the back to school mode. We did our first collage visit last week and can I just say that I feel like one of these mom's of elementary school children after a long a busy summer. I am ready for this teenage girl to be out from under my feet. I have had my fill of teenage eye rolling and subtle sarcasm to last me for a good long while...

Blessings
R

The Bug said...

Yay for getting the quilt stitched! I can't wait to see the finished product (perhaps in a picture with the actual baby too - ha!). When is Tina due anyway? I've lost track...

Sounds like you are in a good place to be husband-less :) Enjoy your time there!

riTa Koch said...

Such a good plan for both of you, each enjoying what you love and with special people.
Was the Oshgosh intentional, oh my gosh. ;-)