Sunday, April 18, 2010

Project 365, Week 16

Almost ALL of my photos for Project 365 this week were taken on walks; only the last is an exception.

Monday was a gorgeous day so late afternoon we walked along the lake into town to check the mail. On the way, we got a big kick out of the ducks heading to dinner. We had no idea the city had a program for feeding the ducks!
Tuesday wasn't so nice. The temperature dropped about twenty degrees and it rained off and on. We even got some hail -- not very big, but hail nevertheless.
[I apologize for the poor quality of photo; my camera doesn't take very good pictures in the dark and I wasn't about to go out INTO the hail so just snapped this from the safety of the garage door.]

It stayed cool but stopped raining so we went for a walk on Wednesday. I've mentioned that not too many have lawn mowers here; most yards are tiny and people just use weed whackers. But it was surprising to see that even the city doesn't use mowers; they have a large crew of men they send out with weed whackers to take care of the parks. There were three working by the lake near our house but we could see more farther down the costanera.
Disappointing to see they didn't bother picking up trash beforehand so they basically just shredded all the paper and sent it flying everywhere. The next day we saw men out picking up trash -- not doing a very good job either, which isn't surprising since it had multiplied with the mowing/shredding, and it just seems to me it would have made more sense to pick up the garbage BEFORE they cut the grass.

Another day the lake just shimmered in the sunlight and was so beautiful I had to take a photo.
Friday I saw the first tree changing colors! None of the trees turn orange here but many turn this gorgeous shade of yellow.
During youth group we played a variety of games, including "Oso, Mono, Loro" -- sort of a take-off on rock, scissors, paper. Oso trumps mono, mono trumps loro, loro trumps oso. Two people stand back-to-back until on the count of three they turn around and assume the position of their animal. Here's a couple of the boys being an oso and a loro. Can you guess which is which?
We have a guest this weekend -- a student from Hillsdale College is in Cordoba for the semester and came to visit. Tonight after youth group we came home and enjoyed my version of Mari's famous cornbread salad for supper -- a welcome American-style meal :-)

16 comments:

Mari said...

You've got some beautiful scenery shots this week. I think the picture of the guys mowing with wee whackers is funny.
Glad you are still enjoying that salad. I need to make it again!

Robin Lambright said...

That picture of the lake is really good.

Stumbled upon your SIL blog the other day and she had posted a picture of your hubs as a child. She asked us to guess which one he was. Kinda cute I thought.

Blessings
R

sara said...

great week!

the ducks remind me of the hotel here....for the life of me I can't remember the name right now...famous for their ducks!

The lake is beautiful!! And so is that tree!

I have GOT to try that salad...I say that every time you post about it but I am really going to do it this time!

Rita said...

You got some great pics outside! I love that!
Gotta love some karate kid poses!

Lisa said...

I think the lake pic is my favorite. Oh, I can just imagine an afternoon siesta on under a shade tree near there or on a bench with a good book.

Pam said...

Love the pic from youth group. Looks like they're having a really good time. Love your views. Just stunning. : )

Tori said...

The sun on the lake looks so inviting! Mowing with weed wackers is definintely a new one for a large project like a park!
BTW, love you new profile pic!!

Betty W said...

What a beautiful lake you have! So lucky to have such a big water nearby. Trees don´t turn orange here either. I love that yellow tree. Another sign winter is on it´s way.

McCrakensx4 said...

Love the shimmering lake picture..so pretty! Would love to wake up to that each morning! My boys would love that version of rock paper scissors...great idea!

Skoots1moM said...

ducks heading to dinner :)

even the city doesn't use mowers...weed whackers!! :D

picking up trash ... shredded all the paper

A sunlight shot!!

we're bloomin' & you're changing colors!

Hillsdale College...where's that?
Great Post!!
Home from Latin Convention...i'm egggggzawwwwwsted!

The Bug said...

Lovely photos this week! I need to get out & walk around while it's still cool enough here - my pictures are either in my yard or taken from the comfort of my car LOL.

Lhoyt said...

La foto del lago está fenómena.
I'm just thankful they don't do what was done on the country roads--the famous burn 'mowing'.
Is the duck feeding program a city-funded project, or are there a number of 'nature lovers' who feed them on a regular basis?

riTa Koch said...

Me gusta la nueva foto.
Granizo--leí que en BsAs también cayó mucho.
Good to see the lake full and shimmering!
Basura en el parque. That word reminds me of what I heard recently--Uncle Ed taught Grandma H the word for trash, so she used it a lot, with an American accent, of course. Can you just hear her say, 'Take out the basoora.'
Fun youth game. My guess: oso on left, loro on right.

beckyjomama said...

LOVE the sunshine on the lake shot - stunning!

Angie said...

I always enjoy seeing what's going on down south. :) Love the changing tree. Now I can enjoy all the season changes at once. What fun!

The lake is beautiful!

How interesting the things we learn by just observing - the ducks and mowing/trash!

Have a great week!

Cristina Elizabeth said...

you get a little bit of fall color, yay!