Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Random Dozen


Yes, it's that time of week again...more of the Random to entertain and amuse. Reading what others have answered is always good for a healthy dose of medicinal laughter and I look forward to it each Wednesday. I'm sad to say I didn't make it around to everyone last week; so many participated and I just didn't have enough time. But those I did visit brought a smile to my face.
 And prompted trips to the bathroom.
From laughing a little too hard.

1. Do you use the labels various charities send you as “free gifts?”  Absolutely. I'm certainly not going to make the effort to send them back, and it would be silly to just throw them away. Sorta miss that feature of junk charitable mail.

2. What is your favorite time of day (or night) for skywatching?  This is another of those should-be-simple-but-it's-not questions. One of our favorite pasttimes in Uganda was to sit on the veranda and watch the sun rise or set. Of course, sunsets took all of ten minutes so you had to be ready and waiting or you'd miss it. But the sunrises lasted a little longer and were best enjoyed accompanied by a cup of coffee and piece of fresh bread made by Mama Daisy (our house help).  We rarely take time now to enjoy either...faster pace of life, more distractions...not sure exactly why.

3. What is the most adventurous you've ever been with trying a new food? (Keep it G-rated please)  Chinchulin (cow intestine) which is a favorite at Argentine asados. Did not care for it and haven't had it again. Same could be said for morcilla (blood sausage). Had the opportunity to try python in Uganda but declined because it smelled so foul. Also could not bring myself to eat the termites that were popular, fresh or fried. Ewwwww!

4. Have you ever heard a rock sing? (Trust me, there's a reason for this one!)  When you skip rocks on water they make a singing sound. Is that what you mean?

5. If you could learn a language you don't presently speak, what would it be?  Spanish. LOL  Seriously, I'd love to speak Italian. Which is a kissing cousin to Spanish so maybe there's hope that by the time I'm in my 70s and finally have a handle on Spanish, I can start working on Italian.

6. Al Capone's tombstone read, “My Jesus, Mercy.” If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?  Jeez, I can't come up with anything even remotely appropriate first thing in the morning.

7. If you were a famous musician who was known by one name, like “Cher,” “Sting,” or “Jewel,” what would it be? It doesn’t have to be your first name, but it can be, if you’d like.  The idea that I could be a famous musician is so mind boggling I cannot even fathom the possibility; I do not have a musical bone in my body. BUT if I were a famous author I think it would be really cool to be known by one name... maybe something faintly exotic sounding like Simone or Fiona

8. Have you ever been inordinately “into” a television show?  More times than I care to admit... McMillen & Wife, The Waltons, Cagney & Lacey, Homefront, Due South, West Wing, The Closer... Due South is my hands down favorite all time TV show though, with West Wing in second place.

9. When you sneeze, do you go big, or do you do that weird “heenh!” sound that makes people think you’re going to blow your brains out? Any other variation we should know about?  I think my sneeze is pretty normal and Ivan agrees. Not too loud, not too "heenh", just right.

10. Do you still read an actual newspaper that you hold in your hands, or do you get your news elsewhere?  Haven't subscribed to a newspaper in FOREVER. Once in a while we'll pick up a newspaper here but it's because of something else that comes with it, not for the paper. Mostly I'm an internet news junkie with CNN, FoxNews, and the BBC providing my fixes.

11. Are you a good speller?  Yes, although I find myself looking up words more often these days. I think my hard drive (a.k.a. my brain) needs to be defragged and cleaned up. Since buying a new and improved model is not an option.

12. At what time each day do you start thinking about Lost lunch?  When I'm thinking about breakfast. My fragmented brain works something like this: "Since I'm going to have such-and-such for lunch, I'll have this for breakfast." Supper often plays a part in the internal discussion as well. Gotta coordinate those calories you know.

~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. Small Town Runner is having a giveaway! Stop in and check out her blog; she writes with a dry sense of humor. My favorite kind.

18 comments:

Joyce said...

Blood sausage is not my favorite. Never had cow intestine but I've had haggis. Also not my favorite.

I had trouble with the musical name too...the chances of that happening are too remote to even contemplate : )

CeeCee said...

Wow, I can sit and watch your blog background all day. I love your answer about your brain. I think mine needs defragging too. Have a great day!

Oldfangled said...

Ah ha! So that's where all my entrants for my giveaway are coming from! (: (You have until Midnight Feb 8 to enter!)

The Bug said...

I need defragging too! Let me know as soon as you figure out how it works.

riTa Koch said...

I don't care what they throw at you, your answers are ALWAYS fun to read!
How about 'Kimone' or 'Kimona' for # 7?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Stopping over to say Hi. I just wasn't sure about the rock question. Have a great day.

Lazy Daisy said...

Always great answers...especially defragging your brain. Let me know if you can accomplish it, I'm sure that would help me as well. I think you are very adventurous with your eating. I ate bear in alaska but it tasted like salmon because it's what the bear had been eating. Hope you are having a blessed day.

SusanD said...

Blood sausage? Cow intestine? I'm thinkin...not a chance. Def not if it smells bad. Love your "author" names. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

SouthLakesMom said...

When I lived in El Paso in high school I was told that "tripas" was the absolute best hangover cure ever. Then they told me what tripas was so I decided I'd never have a hangover that require it. Cured it right away!

Angie said...

Termites and Blood Sausage - gross!

Go with Simone; that's my favorite.

Waltons were on my list. Here in the states there's a new insurance commercial dissing the long goodnights the Waltons had. It makes me want to not buy their insurance.

Coordinated calories - maybe that's what I'm missing. :)

See ya next week!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Your a brave eater, not sure I could have tried any of that. Great answers.

Jill said...

When we were living in Uganda I loved looking at the stars--they were so bright! I never ate termites either, although one of the Ugandans told me they tasted like eggs. ewwww!

Sharon said...

With regards to sneezing, when you mentioned it I immediately heard your sneeze in my head. I would say that makes your sneeze distinctive.
ahhh...chi!

lagirl/sweet tea said...

Cow intestines?
Did you know what you were eating when you ate it?
I can't imagine ever being hungry enough to try that. YUK!!
You're an adventurous soul! LOL

Skoots1moM said...

Is there no junk-charitable mail in Argentina?

Wow, what a blessing to say you've seen these: Ugandan veranda sunsets w/Mama Daisy;s bread...so neat!

not gonna go there...cow intestine, even if it is a favorite asado. After seeing Andrew Z. do blood sausage...not going there either.
You're a brave woman, JubiSista+

You've got a handle on Spanish already...you're doing great...don't cut yourself short. Italian will be a piece of cake :) Speaking of cake, what's the weirdest dessert you've ever had? Your lists AMAZE me.

Simone or Fiona are good...I loved that name from SHREK...you could be Fiona Fabrice...with you love of fabric :)

I love McMillen & Wife, too! and West Wing!

You ARE...just right. :)

FoxNews :)

Good planning...coordinating calories

Robin Lambright said...

RD is so much fun!

Love love love "The Closer"

Thank You, Thank you very much! as Brenda Lee would say!

Blessings
R

Nel said...

Enjoy Random Dozen so much. It is fun to get a glimpse into people's lives. I think your food choices definitely rank up there in the adventurous.

until next time... nel

Lhoyt said...

#6 could be "I TOLD you I was sick!"

Enjoyed your list--but haven't you ever had "ensalada de nervios"?