Monday, December 28, 2009

New blog look even though our Christmas decorations are still up

I enjoy Christmas decorations! First thing I did when we got home yesterday was turn on the tree lights. It had been kinda weird having Christmas without a Christmas tree but even I'm not anal enough to take down the tree, haul it to Sta. Rosa, set it up for a couple days, take it down and haul it home. I figured it was enough to enjoy it the week before Sta. Rosa and the week after. We typically leave the tree up until January 6th.

But a lot of you in Bloggyland must be take-down-the-tree-the-day-after-Christmas people. After seeing how folks are already moving from Christmas to "winter" themed backgrounds on their blogs, thought I'd look for something "summery" for my own. Tina cleaned up my desktop (computer, not actual desk) the other day and made one of our photos from last Wednesday my background. I really, really like this picture so decided to use it in my banner too. And I found this very complementary background over at Simply Blog It Backgrounds; it reminds me of the river near the house in Sta. Rosa.

I also started laundry IMMEDIATELY upon arriving home yesterday afternoon. Three loads by nightfall. First load of the day is in the washer this morning, with five more piles waiting. A couple of those are rather large and will probably have to be split. Good thing I enjoy doing laundry!

Brainstormed menu ideas for the week and will head to the store shortly to stock up. I do so much better when I have a plan and a list. With herbs and spices on hand that my SIL sent, I'm ready to fix some things we haven't had in a very long time.

[By the way, if you've never seen a luxury port-a-potty, stop by Sharon's blog. What a hoot!]

I'm looking forward to getting caught up on paperwork this week. NOT.

But it has to be done. Have to get that final expense report turned in ASAP so they can do our taxes. Why do taxes have to come on the heels of Christmas? Who thought up that brilliant idea?

As we come to the end of our first full year in Argentina, I'm wondering how to evaluate our time so far. Did we accomplish anything? What do we need to do more of? less of? differently? Is our focus where it should be? What is needful and what is expedient?

The dreaded and despised paperwork is part and parcel of this life we've chosen. Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to have a better attitude about it?

Not likely.

Do you make New Year's resolutions? Have you ever actually resolved anything? Does FAILING have to be part and parcel of any commitment we make on the first day of each year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or funny; I really want to know. Has anyone ever kept/succeeded with a New Year's resolution?

6 comments:

Mari said...

This is a nice look! I'll be taking down my Christmas things in the next couple of days. I'm ready to have the house back to normal!

riTa Koch said...

I'll be taking it slow, stretching it out at least till Reyes.
What are you going to do on the 6th? Or what are your traditions? I'm sure you'll be telling us.
As for New Year's resolutions, I'll have to think on that and look back over the year, photos, journals, etc.
BTW, how did you do the text on the banner? Remind me. I love it!

Oldfangled said...

I've given up New Year's Resolutions. I'm going to blog about that later this week. Your new blog look makes me long for summer, but I'm trying to enjoy winter, too! (I do love the snow...)

Lhoyt said...

I can't say that I've ever kept a New Year's resolution through a whole year. But this I know, failure is not final, or we'd all be crawling along on all fours. So, what does a baby do? Get up and try again!!

SusanD said...

I love your not blog look. Great pictures. I'm not ready to put the Christmas decorations away just yet. I plan to take more photos of them in the house.

Resolutions? Yes, I've made them. But with me I don't necessarily wait for the calendar end/beginning to do that. Sometimes when I see the need to change I just do it. Other times, I procrastinate about doing it.

Wow! A whole year already. I'm so grateful our paths crossed. You have truly been an inspiration. Blessings to you as we greet 2010. SusanD

Anonymous said...

I like the new look. It's good.

Freedom Debt Relief Scam