Friday, November 6, 2009

This week has gone by way too fast

Is it really Friday already?!

I remembered late last night that tomorrow (Saturday) is my turn with Candle in the Corner project, so I needed to hop to it and get a post ready. In the beginning I'd flirted with doing a vlog but then I dropped my Mac last Friday, putting an end to that idea. Which might be best anyway. The haircut Wednesday has me all super-short-and-spikey, not at all in my comfort zone. Ivan likes it but as soon as it grows out enough to use the curling iron, what little hair that's left will be toned down into manageable waves. I like the IDEA of being a super-short-and-spikey kinda gal, but the reality that stares back at me from the mirror is rather frightening.

It reminds me a lot of that static electricity experiment at the American Museum of Science and Energy in Knoxville. We took our kids years ago and they loved this exhibit. My hair looks exactly like this photo from their website. 

Only really, really short.

Ivan had to go into Cordoba today so I had time -- and his computer all to myself -- to work on that post. Now it feels weird to be writing a post for today after already finishing the one for tomorrow.

It's another warm day, but not as hot as it has been. The sun is seriously intense. The load of towels line dried in 40 minutes. Oh, by the way, I didn't notice in the photo from yesterday until Ivan pointed it out: Did any of you realize the man in the background is "mowing" with a weed whacker? [That's how most people mow their tiny yards here; few own a lawn mower. And that's how the city keeps all the parks mown -- by a group of men armed with weed whackers.] We have no idea WHY he was down on the lake bed mowing the grass and weeds. Apparently the city workers don't have enough to keep them busy so they've begun tending the park-formerly-known-as-a-lake.

Because of the heat I'm using my crockpot more. Today I have cuban pork roast simmering away in it and black beans on the stove top. Half an hour before we eat I'll fix the rice. Yum! We're eating more salads too. Yesterday I made a pasta salad with ranch dressing and a variety of vegetables.

Speaking of salads. Earlier this week we enjoyed one with the last of our winter lettuce and our FIRST summer tomatoes! Five tiny cherry tomatoes were ready to pick. Ivan has since dug up the last of our winter stuff. We're enjoying some beets and lettuce, everything else was over. He attended the lecture for summer gardening at the municipality on Tuesday and received free seeds again so we'll be putting in more lettuce, beans, peppers and I'm not sure what else. The cherry tomato plant was actually from last year; it resurrected on its own. We also bought a few regular tomato plants in August and they already have fruit on them.

I am a fan of tomatoes. Fresh, fried green, cooked in sauces...haven't found a way I don't like them. But especially just picked and ripe from the vine. That's basil you see next to them and one of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes is sliced with fresh basil, mozzarella and a light vinaigrette dressing. Double yum!

Hope you have a great weekend!

3 comments:

riTa Koch said...

Is your hair red, too?
Can't wait to read your Candle in the Corner entry tomorrow!
I have absolutely loved that giveaway.
We're home as of an hour ago, so I need to get with MY own giveaway!
And prepare for Sam's BD celebration. It's gonna be good to see the family again!
love

Skoots1moM said...

oh, you have to make a picture for us...mine's spikey now too!...helps keep me cooler ;)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha... I love your take on what your hair cut must feel like to you... but I am sure you look great!

I am looking forward to learning more about you!

We lived in the Clarksville, Tennessee area for 6 years (the longest we have lived at one time, while my hubby was in the Army). (Actually on Ft Campbell, KY (KY address, cuz the post office was on the KY side, but we had a TN area code, cuz our house was on the TN side of the post!) Anyways, we enjoyed living there.

I'll be back :o)

Blessings & Aloha!