Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Random Dozen #9


Whew! Participating in the Random Dozen Meme can be exhausting. I am flat worn out from answering all the questions Linda came up with this week. But I sure did have fun in the process. And I know it will be a hoot to read what others have answered too -- funny, serious, hilarious, thought-provoking...always entertaining!

1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
I've been blessed with some truly wonderful teachers, especially in college. But I'm going with the first really good teacher I remember having. This is terrible but I can’t remember her name! (Walton? Walken?) She was my high school American history teacher and she just made history come alive. She was so knowledgeable and full of anecdotes, especially about the presidents and first ladies. It was the first time a teacher had made history fun, and she instilled in me a love for biographies that continues to this day.

2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
There are a lot of pivotal moments I could share but I’m going to tell about the one that propelled us into a year in Africa because it’s a great story of how God can and does move stuck-in-a-rut-and-happy-to-be-there people :-) [And this is going to be a rather long story so go ahead and make some tea, grab a cookie and settle back.] 

The way it all came about was so clearly of God. We had traded some vacation time at a friend’s cottage on Lake Michigan for some work and instruction on building by my oh-so-handyman husband. But it took two years for us to coordinate schedules to where Ivan could do the work AND teach our friend in the process (and in that time we used the cottage three times!).

Anyway, the day Ivan finally made it over there, they were hosting a missionary from Uganda whose daughter was a student at Hillsdale College where our friend taught. (still with me?) So midway through the morning they stopped for a coffee break and Ivan met Jay Dangers for the first time. It turns out they had a few things in common: both were MKs (missionary kids) and they had a mutual friend. Ivan had a great time talking with Jay and learning about the ministry to orphans that Jay had founded. Before he went back to work Ivan felt compelled to ask him, “So is there anything a guy with my skills could do to help over there?” to which Jay responded, “As a matter of fact, our construction manager is in dire need of a furlough and it would be great to have someone fill in for him during the time he's gone.” All afternoon as Ivan worked he thought about the possibility but he kept saying to himself, “Kim will NEVER go for it so why even think about it?” and yet he couldn’t stop thinking about it.

We had tickets to a concert at the college that night and he was running late so when he finally made it home I was waiting at the door to rush him along. “Go hop in the shower and I’ll have your supper on a plate when you get out,” I told him. He grinned and asked “How would you like to spend a year in Africa?” before handing me some papers on his way to the shower. I was dumbfounded! I’m sure I stood there with my mouth hanging open for a few minutes, looking at the papers in my hand in utter confusion. Okey-dokey then! 

I snapped back to reality, put the papers by my purse and proceeded to get his supper ready to go. I drove while he ate and between bites he told me about his time with Jay and how he couldn’t stop thinking about going to Uganda. I was amused and aggravated at the same time. What a crazy idea!

But once we were sitting in the auditorium and I had time to finally look at the brochure and newsletter from New Hope Uganda while the orchestra tuned up, God had already started working in my spirit. As I read about this place that was “bringing the fatherhood of God to the fatherless” I felt this overwhelming sense of God saying “GO!” I turned to Ivan, tears springing to my eyes, and cried, “But I never wanted to go to AFRICA!” Ivan took my hand and smiled at me and said very gently, “Neither did I.” But in that moment we both knew that’s exactly what we would be doing.

[And it was that experience in Uganda which God used to catapult us into full-time missions in Argentina. So the pivotal moment took us in a whole new direction for the rest of our lives.]

3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
For the first fifty years of my life I would have answered without hesitation: blue and yellow (“can’t have one without the other” - name that song for 100 points) but for some reason I have become obsessed with green. I love green in all its glorious shades and hues but especially a light Spring green. It fills me with a sense of peace and calm and happiness. But I have no idea where this passion for green comes from! It’s only been recently that I’ve even acknowledged it. Maybe it’s my midlife crisis?

4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
Good grief but my body has developed all kinds of old people quirks. Everything from failing eyesight to disturbing gastrointestinal issues that I certainly never had in my younger years. Even eating potato soup can give me a bad case of gas. (was that TMI?) 

5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
Yes but no. Growing up I loved the holiday. We had lots of kids on our block and I don’t remember a single house that didn’t give out candy. All the kids (and a few adults as well) dressed up and we had so much fun visiting everyone in the neighborhood. A favorite was the confirmed bachelor next-door who gave away the BIG candy bars -- what a treat! I honestly never knew it was a controversial issue until I began attending a Christian college. It became a mute question once I was married since my husband had definite ideas and opinions (and none of them good) about Halloween.

6. What's your favorite musical?
Poor Lid, I'm afraid we’re all going to torture you with our answers to this one. It’s actually a really hard question for me...Man of La Mancha, Oklahoma, West Side Story, Evita, Fiddler on the Roof, Grease...there are so many great ones that I can’t possibly pick only one! Here for your listening and viewing pleasure, I present the Ambassadors of Harmony singing "Man of La Mancha"!

7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
Country mouse.

8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
While I’d think it was a nice gesture, I honestly think there are much better uses to which you can put your money that would make me feel way more warm and squishy inside: supporting a child through an organization like New Hope Uganda, buying supplies to put together a box or two for Operation Christmas Child, giving to missions...  


This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.
I am a texting ignormous of the highest degree. Just last night I tried sending a text message that never did go through. And I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. None.

10. "It's not a party unless there’s food!"

11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
Think about what I’ll write about for my next blog post.

12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Depends on the day. When I’m all PMSy and grouchy, no. Otherwise, yeah, I think so.

20 comments:

SusanD said...

I loved your turning point answer and learning about your call to Africa. At your suggestion, I did get a cup of coffee before I started reading it tho. lol We have participated in Operation Christmas Child and have been so blessed by it. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Loved reading about your call to the mission field.
Oh...btw..."can't have one without the other" is from Love and Marriage...and now I'm humming that song in my head. Thankyouverymuch.

Oldfangled said...

Kim, I would bet it's not a party unless you're there.

Mari said...

Yes - you would be friends with you. You're pretty nice!
That was quite a pivotal moment. I couldn't match up to that. I used to always say blue was my favorite, but I've also switched to green. I'll live next to you in the country!

Susanne said...

I can't believe Linda actually asked about musicals.

Your Africa story is amazing!

riTa Koch said...

I loved the Africa story!
So grateful you heard the call!

About aging issues: just learned about 'walking farts' :)

Enjoyed Man of la Mancha, never saw/heard that musical.

Thanks for reminder of Candle in the Corner.

Joyce said...

That's a great story.

Love and Marriage...Frank Sinatra sang it I think

maybe your love of green stems from your previous love of blue and yellow which do end up making green when mixed : )

TaylorSwift said...

As many of Musicals lovers I LOVE West Side Story! It is my favourite ever... Last year I’ve been in NY & I tried to get my ticket …guess what everything was sold out that show how great the show is. Anyhow I end up getting it from a site through Ticketsinventory.com. I’m planning to see it again this so I will just get tickets from the same place
http://www.ticketsinventory.com/theatre/west-side-story-tickets/
So I'll be analyzing as well as enjoying the show.

The Bug said...

My pivotal moment involved Africa too! It didn't lead to full time missions, but it did lead to my husband eventually (I met him at seminary when I got home - I would never have gone to seminary if I hadn't been in Africa first).

FYI - potatoes are NOTORIOUS. Just sayin.

H-Mama said...

Love your honest answers! Seriously. ;)
I have a missionary friend serving in Argentina {she's on furlough right now in the states}.
Blessings!

Jill said...

Oh, Kim, I love your answer to #2! Isn't it wonderful how God prepares us a little bit at a time? We were on the border between Uganda and Kenya, in a little town called Tororo. To get out for an afternoon we'd go north to Mbale. We spent three years there.

Jewel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This looks like the kind of blog I like to follow. :] So I think I'm going too! Good Uganda story. Just 1 brochure?? That's all it took?? So now you're in Argentina full time?? [I'll have to do my homework on other blog posts ;)]

Yes, if your daughter is in college, we are probably about the same age because I'm in college too. Junior year and ready to be done.. not ready to be done.. ready to move on.. not ready to move on..

After college, my plans include full-time missions in Cambodia!

RA said...

Hi, Kim! I'm amazed too, how similar some answers were. No.9 is definitely a blast. I didn't know what we all could do while texting ;). I loved your answers. Your pivotal moment is very interesting. Africa? Who would have known :). Have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

Loved the 10th :) Great answers.


Freedom Debt Reviews

A Stone Gatherer said...

Hey Kim, it's Kim! Loved your list too! I love how God worked in your life to bring you to missions. And your #8 was the same as mine! Love that food! Any who, Mari from My little corner of the world, is a wonderful friend who attends my church. She is as wonderful as her blog makes her out to be! (Just a little side note!)

Robin Lambright said...

You're a musical loven girl after my own heart!

Great answers. Loved your pivotal moment. I love it when God opens doors in unexpected ways. I love it even more when there is that clarity as we look back on those moments and know with certainty that He was at work and His purpose was served.

Blessings
Robin

Angie said...

Just joined the Random Dozen and loved hearing how you ended up on the mission field. We have several family/friends across the world and their stories are quite similar...they were just willing to listen & go. I love how God works; thanks for sharing.

Celeste said...

I loved your answers to 4 and 12, you made me laugh! Potatoe soup hmmm, what a surprise :)

Bekah said...

Maybe you like green because it's a combination of yellow and blue??

Thanks for commenting on my blog- great idea for a calendar!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You were actually very concise in describing your pivotal moment. Very interesting, Kim.

I loved all of your answers, as usual. I always look forward to stopping here.