Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm convinced that winter is just around the corner...

Because when we woke up this morning, it was COLD -- 44°. Which may not sound cold to some of you, but without central heat, that's brrrrrr weather! We did turn our heaters on for a while to take the chill off and I wore my sweater until just a short time ago.

After Spanish we went to get our hair cut, and as promised here's a photo of Flor and her cute little shop. This doesn't really show the special painting her mom did on the wall but if you look above the mirror you can see a bit of it. She cut enough off that I'm feeling absolutely lightheaded now. Although that may have more to do with the sinuses than my haircut.

We stopped at our favorite YPF and ended up talking to a lady the hubby met once before. She writes a column for the local weekly paper and just today she decided to start blogging! So I shared a little about what a wonderful community she'll find in Bloggyville ☺ I heard somewhere that 120,000 blogs are created every day. Whoa!

I'm still working my way through the First Annual Bloggers Quilt Festival because with 579 entries, it just takes time. There are some truly amazing quilts...and some that aren't as spectacular but all are very special and have a story behind them. Like the quilt a woman created after her son suffered a serious, life-threatening injury; she designed the quilt during the hours she sat by his side in the hospital and then made it while he finished recovering at home. Or the quilt top a grandmother sewed that a granddaughter finished quilting many years later. *sigh* A few posts is equivalent to reading a whole rack of Hallmark cards in one sitting.

I'm off to work on the quilt for a while. I get a lot of joy from hand quilting PLUS it's a great stress reliever. I'm thinking little teddy bears in the center of each block...

3 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

teddy bears are always so cute...you could do little boy bears with bowties, baseball bats, balls and little girls with flowers, rolling pins, and ballet slippers.
isn't it fun dreaming up ideas for crafts.
hope you finally got warm...and i love flor's shop. that painting is beautiful too--the texture is intricate. It's got to be oils...great dimension.
gotta start reading my quilting book tonight and i'm gonna check out the quilting blogs too.

sara said...

I'm not a quilter by I enjoyed seeing yours. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

44 degrees IS freezing inside a house!!! I turn on the heat if it is below 68!!! I have thin blood! ha!

Lara said...

When I saw the title of your post, I was surprised, but then I remembered where you live. Here the weather is warming up, which I don't like that much. I like not having to wear so many clothes, I like going to the beach, and many other things that summer brings, but I don't feel very well with hot weather.
Have a wonderful day.