Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chicken Feta Burgers & Yogurt Cucumber Sauce

Warm weather calls for summer-time meals. So for today's Saturday Stirrings over at It Coulda' Been Worse, I offer Chicken Feta Burgers for the grill. These are a tasty alternative to regular burgers and make a nice change of pace. Don't get me wrong. I love beef! But it's nice to have some other options. And don't forget to stop by Dee's and check out all the other recipes!

CHICKEN FETA BURGERS
1 slice bread
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 lb. ground chicken
salt and pepper to taste
Tear bread into pieces and soak in milk for 5 minutes. Add egg, onion, feta and ground chicken. Mix well and form into patties. Salt and pepper to taste and grill for 5 minutes or so on each side until done but not dry. Serve how your family likes them (on buns, alone, in pita shells...) with lettuce, tomato, and so on.
NOTE: If you serve in pita shells, a little yogurt/cucumber sauce is a great alternative to mayo. So here's the recipe for that, too:

YOGURT CUCUMBER SAUCE

1 to 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt (less for thicker sauce)
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons
salt and white pepper, to taste
Grate cucumber and squeeze out excess liquid (I use a fine mesh strainer for this). Mix all ingredients and refridgerate until ready to use.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

We lived in Greece for a few years when I was a kid, and we call that Yogurt Cucumber sauce Tzatziki. I usually add a dollop of olive oil & a bit of dill. But it's super-yummy however you make it!

jan said...

Oooh those sound good! I am going to have to try them. The older I get, the less I like beef.

Mandi said...

Those sound good! I haven't been buying beef lately because of the prices, so it's nice to find recipes that don't call for it.

Unknown said...

Those sound wonderful - I love feta in any way, shape or form. I make the Tzatziki sauce as well - in fact we're having it this week on lamb burgers. I'll try these burgers next menu! Thanks for sharing!