Saturday, March 15, 2008

Amish Baked Apples

NOTE: In yesterday's post I talked about my (dis)ability to sing. Yes, I meant "dis", not "in". It's not that I can't sing (inability), but that I'm so bad (disability). Nuf said.

Time for Saturday Stirrings over at It Coulda Been Worse!

We live in a rural area with a lot of Amish. Boy, can they cook! And this is one of my favorite Amish recipes. The resulting sauce tastes like caramel and there's always extra that I save to top ice cream at other times.

This is melt-in-your-mouth, oh-my-goodness, how-did-I-live-without-this delicious!

And it's quick to put together which is always a plus on busy days when company is coming!

Amish Baked Apples


4 very large or 6 medium size apples
1-1/4 cups brown sugar
scant 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cups water
2 Tablespoons butter
cinnamon
vanilla ice cream (optional but highly recommended!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Core and quarter apples [I have an apple peeler/corer so I use that instead.] Place apples in 3-quart buttered baking dish.

Combine brown sugar, flour, and salt in small bowl. Stir in lemon juice and water and pour mixture over apples. Dot with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon (add as much or as little as you want).

Bake uncovered for one hour, basting twice. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!

8 comments:

The Apron Queen said...

My husband's grandfather used to make baked apples with cinammon red hots! I always add marshmallows too. Probably why I have to go to the dentist!

Hop on over to http://anapronaday.blogspot.com for my Kiss Me I’m Irish Beef & Cabbage. Want to know why they called it “corned” beef? Come on, I’ll tell ya….

Barbara H. said...

This sounds luscious!!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Kim, sorry about the font. I appreciate the input because I keep wondering. The designer lightened the background so that regular text would show, but now it looks pinkish to me. It really is black text; it just looks brown to me. I cannot get it worked out, but I'm trying. I have middle aged eyes, too!

Jenny said...

That sounds really yummy!

Jeni said...

Yum! This sounds good! I used all our apples for applesauce yesterday, or I'd make this instead!

Carol said...

If only I had a few more apples! I just might have the energy left after doing our taxes to get myself to the grocery store. This recipe sounds THAT good! Thanks for sharing.

Farrah said...

I wish we lived near the Amish!!

Thanks for the recipe! I added it!

Fiddledeedee said...

I want a Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer for just this very thing.

Holy cow. This sounds awesome!